(image credits to Tips of Divorce)
there’s nothing of substance I can talk about these days, seeing as I’ve been down in the dumps, but here are some updates:
- I got rejected by the California Institute of Technology. but that’s okay, I was kind of expecting it— if I were MIT’s rival I wouldn’t exactly accept someone with two ‘U’ grades at the prelims either.
- I got accepted by the University of Miami. and they actually sent me priority mail to inform me so yay? I hope I’ll get a scholarship or something…
- I got rejected by UC Los Angeles. biggest blow I’ve received over the course of the week, especially since most of my scores were pretty high (above the 2013 Upper Quartile) and I really poured my heart and soul out into my essays.
so I’ve been looking for the positives of being accepted into U Miami, seeing as all hopes of getting accepted into the University of Southern California and UC Berkeley are pretty low right now. I’d like to believe that I’ve found some great (the definition is subjective) reasons to enrol in U Miami:
- Graceland is filmed in Florida. I’LL BE IN THE SAME STATE AS AARON TVEIT AND SERINDA SWAN DURING THE FILMING SEASON. I AM REALLY PSYCHED ABOUT THIS.
- U Miami has the second hottest sorority chapter in the nation. all my gay dreams will finally come true.
- sun and surf and hot Miami socialites… okay, perhaps not the most sophisticated reason, but I’m definitely not one to turn down a chance at networking!
- U Miami’s biochemistry program doesn’t seem too bad… right…? then again, I could always change my major to Music Performance in the next spring semester.
- if I do stick with a chemistry/biochemistry major, I’ll get enough credits for my freshman courses without actually taking them, giving me the option to either double major or graduate really early (this is kind of a big plus)
perhaps this is an utterly weak attempt of mine to rationalise my feelings towards rejection but I’m only human and I really need to sort things out right now. the sting of rejection still hurts but I’m trying to adopt a positive attitude towards it, seeing as there is a string of possible future rejections to arrive at my door. I mean, I’ve had dreams of attending UCLA/USC for a little over four years now, and this bout of rejection really hurts because it reminds me that not all dreams are real and I’ll eventually have to wake up, even though I would prefer living in my dream world forever.
one good thing, though, is that I’m not losing my grasp on reality. this bout of rejection brings me back down to earth and pulls my head down and out of the clouds. and the sooner I get over rejection, the sooner I can move on to acceptance…
…but for now, I awaiteth replies from USC, UC Berkeley and Ithaca College. here’s to the wait.
“Each rejection brings us closer to acceptance.”
― Ramesh Lohia